Trainee Associate Member Program
The Cancer Research Career Enhancement (CRCE) Core of the Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center (HICCC) has created the Trainee Associate Membership program to promote the interests of trainees in cancer across all of Columbia University.
As a Trainee Associate Member, you will have access to a community of cancer trainees and mentors, pilot grants, seminar series and educational events, career development opportunities, and more.
Membership is open to:
- Graduate students enrolled in PhD, MD, or MD/PhD programs who conduct cancer-related research under the mentorship of HICCC members
- Postdoctoral fellows or postdoctoral research scientists who conduct cancer-related research under the mentorship of HICCC members
- Postdoctoral residency fellows and postdoctoral clinical fellows in oncology-related clinical training
- Associate Research Scientists who are on track for a faculty level position in academia or industry and/or are being actively mentored toward career advancement
Applications for Spring 2021 are closed. New applications will be accepted in the fall semester. A link to the application form will be provided here. For questions, please email Stuart Fischer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read below to learn more about more benefits of the program.
Benefits of the Trainee Associate Member Program
- Early Career Pilot Grants. Postdocs and residents/fellows can compete for Early Career Pilot Grants, with a value of $10,000 each that can be applied to service costs for HICCC Shared Resources (SR) or Community Outreach & Engagement (COE), as well as for reagents and materials tied to those services. Proof of consultation with the SR or COE Director prior to submission is required. Up to four grants will be awarded annually.
- Research Grants. Graduate students can compete for $5,000 in Research Grants that can be applied to SR and COE services, as well as for reagents and materials tied to those services. Proof of consultation with the SR or COE Director prior to submission is required. Up to four grants will be awarded annually.
- Travel Awards. All Trainee Associate Members will be eligible for Travel Awards with a value of up to $1,000 each to be applied to costs related to attendance at a meeting at which the trainee is giving either a poster or platform presentation. Until travel restrictions are eased, Travel Awards may be applied to virtual conferences. Apply here
- Paper(s) of the Year. Publications will be selected based on scientific merit and impact. Awardees will receive a salary bonus awards of $500. Up to six awards will be given annually.
- HICCC-branded Merchandise. All Trainee Associate Members will receive HICCC-branded items.
- Trainee Associate Member Symposium. Trainee Associate Members will be expected to participate, as speakers or to present posters, at an annual one-day HICCC-hosted Symposium.
- Career Networking Events. Members will be invited to attend career networking events. These events will include panel discussions on career paths by scientists in the tristate area, along with leaders in industry, business, science communication, education, science philanthropy, and policy. Following the panel discussions, trainees will be invited to mingle with the panelists.
- Lunches with Distinguished Speakers. Trainee Associate Members will be given priority to have lunch with speakers from HICCC’s Distinguished Speaker Seminar Series.
- Training Opportunities. Trainees will have increased access to seminars and short courses for grant and manuscript preparation, cancer biology education and for career development.
- Career Counseling. Trainees will be offered at least one half-hour session per semester for career counseling with either the Director or Assistant Director of the CRCE.
- Trainee Associate Members Web Page. An online resource page will be created for Trainee Associate Members. The page will highlight special events and opportunities for Trainee Associate Members and will highlight trainee research accomplishments and news. The trainee resource page will be noted in our communications with recruiters and the science community. Trainee Associate Members will also be featured in HICCC member communications.