Trainee Associate Member Program
The Cancer Research Training and Education Coordination (CRTEC) Core of the Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center (HICCC) created the Trainee Associate Membership program to promote the interests of trainees in cancer across all of Columbia University who are being mentored by HICCC members.
As a Trainee Associate Member, you will have access to a community of cancer trainees and mentors, pilot grants, seminar series and educational events, career development opportunities, and more.
Membership is open to:
- Graduate students enrolled in PhD, DrPH, MD, or MD/PhD programs who conduct cancer-related research under the mentorship of HICCC members.
- Medical students must have committed to cancer research for their scholarly project or research year.
- Graduate students must have committed to cancer research for their thesis.
- Postdoctoral research fellows and postdoctoral research scientists who conduct cancer-related research under the mentorship of HICCC members.
- Postdoctoral residency fellows and postdoctoral clinical fellows in oncology-related clinical training.
- Associate research scientists who are on track for a faculty level position in academia or industry and are being actively mentored by an HICCC member toward career advancement.
Members are admitted annually by a standing selection committee. Membership term will be for two years and subject to annual review to determine good standing. Membership can be extended for two additional years for a total of 4 years maximum.
Read below to learn more about more benefits of the program.
Benefits of the Trainee Associate Member Program
- Predoctoral Pilot Grants. Graduate students can compete for Predoctoral Pilot Grants with a value of $5,000 each. Up to three grants will be awarded annually. Terms and conditions for the 2022 contest will be announced in the spring.
- Postdoctoral Pilot Grants. Postdoctoral students, residents/fellows and associate research scientists can compete for Postdoctoral Pilot Grants with a value of $10,000 each. Up to five grants will be awarded annually. Terms and conditions for the 2022 contest will be announced in the spring.
- Travel Awards. Trainee Associate Members will be eligible for travel awards with a value of up to $1,000 each to be applied to costs related to attendance at a meeting at which the trainee is giving either a poster or platform presentation. Until travel restrictions are eased, travel awards may be applied to virtual conferences. Apply here
- Paper(s) of the Year. Publications will be selected based on scientific merit and impact. Awardees will receive a salary bonus of $500. Up to six awards will be given annually.
- HICCC-branded Merchandise. All Trainee Associate Members will receive HICCC-branded items.
- Trainee Associate Member Symposium. Trainee Associate Members will be expected to participate, as speakers or to present posters, at an annual one-day HICCC-hosted symposium.
- Career Networking Events. Members will be invited to attend career networking events. These events will include panel discussions on career paths by scientists in the tristate area, along with leaders in industry, business, science communication, education, science philanthropy, and policy. Following the panel discussions, trainees will be invited to mingle with the panelists.
- Lunches with Distinguished Speakers. Trainee Associate Members will be given priority to have lunch with speakers from HICCC’s Distinguished Speaker Seminar Series.
- Training Opportunities. Trainees will have increased access to seminars and short courses for grant and manuscript preparation, cancer biology education and for career development.
- Career Counseling. Trainees will be offered at least one half-hour session per semester for career counseling with either the Director or Assistant Director of the CRTEC.
- Trainee Associate Members Resources. The HICCC website highlight special events and opportunities for Trainee Associate Members and trainee research accomplishments and news. Trainee Associate Members also receive a weekly newsletter with funding opportunities, events, and more. Trainee Associate Members will also be featured in HICCC member communications.