Because myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) are rare and complex, it’s important to be treated by a specialist with experience treating it.
Columbia Cancer offers the most comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach to MDS and the highest level of patient care. The Columbia MDS program is a national Center of Excellence of the Myelodysplastic Syndromes Foundation.
Your personal care team will create an individualized treatment plan for you based on:
- Your age, overall health, and medical history
- Whether you have symptoms or not
- Whether the disease is progressing or not
- How well you might tolerate specific treatments
- Your expectations and preferences
If you’re at lower risk of progress, we work to reduce symptoms and the number of infections you may get and to increase your quality of life.
If you’re at higher risk of progression, we work to find novel ways to stop the disease or to treat it if and when it develops into acute myeloid leukemia. Overall our goal is to increase your life expectancy.