Robert J McConnell, MD
Dr. McConnell, Clinical Professor of Medicine at the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University, is Attending Physician and Chief of the Thyroid Clinic at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. He attended Hamilton College and the College of Physicians and Surgeons and completed his internship and residency at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis and endocrinology fellowship at the Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center.
Dr. McConnell belongs to a number of professional societies, including the American Thyroid Association, Endocrine Society, and American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and has been a reviewer for professional journals such as the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, Thyroid, and the Journal of the National Cancer Institute. He a member of the Chernobyl Technical Support Group of the National Cancer Institute and has traveled extensively in Eastern Europe studying the long-term consequences of that nuclear disaster. The study has generated many important publications, including many that he has co-authored. He has also served as a consultant to the Hanford Thyroid Disease Study and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Professional activities include invited lectureships at regional, national, and international meetings, including a May 2007 United Nations Conference on Chernobyl. Dr. McConnell is a co-founded the New York Thyroid Center; works as a practice-based physician specializing in disorders of the thyroid and parathyroid glands; is certified in both ultrasound and ultrasound-guided biopsy of the thyroid; and has been recognized as one of New York Magazine's Top Doctors, New York Times "Super Doctors", and Best Doctors in America. He is active in medical education and has received a number of teaching awards, including Outstanding Endocrinology Preceptor and Ewig Distinguished Scholar at the College of Physicians and Surgeons.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Disease
- Thyroid Disorder
- Professor of Medicine at CUMC
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Oxford Health Plans
United Health Care
- Columbia Employee POS
- Medicare Managed Care
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Internship: Barnes Jewish Hospital
- Residency: Barnes Jewish Hospital
- Fellowship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Internal Medicine
Honors & Awards
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd.
- Top Doctors: New York Metro Area, Castle Connolly
- Top Doctors in New York, New York Magazine
- Listing, Best Doctors in America, Inc.
- Listing, New York Times "Super Doctors"
- Outstanding Endocrinology Preceptor, Columbia University Physicians & Surgeons
- Ewig Scholar, Department of Medicine, Columbia University