Michelle Azu, MD, FACS
Breast & Soft Tissue Surgery
Accepting New Patients
This month, Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) trained breast surgical oncologist Dr. Michelle Azu, joins the Department of Surgery as Assistant Professor of Surgery at CUMC. Dr. Azu was previously Director of Breast Surgery at Chilton Medical Center (Atlantic Health System) in Pompton Plains, NJ. Prior to joining Chilton, she was an Assistant Professor, in both the department of Epidemiology and the department of Surgery at UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. She currently holds an academic appointment as Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department Epidemiology, Rutgers School of Public Health.Dr. Azu is a graduate of the University of Missouri School of Medicine, in Columbia, MO. She completed her MSKCC breast fellowship in 2009. Her research interests are the influence of psychosocial and epidemiological factors on outcomes in breast cancer patients, and the effect of media on patient care. She is steadfast in her commitment to ensure patients understand their diagnosis, and has received numerous patient care accolades. She currently serves as a member of the American Cancer Society’s editorial board as well as multiple other leadership roles.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Breast Cancer
- Specialist in Breast Cancer Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Director, Breast Surgical Services and Associate Director, Breast Disease Management Team, NewYork-Presbyterian/ Lawrence Hospital
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
1199 National Benefit Fund
- 1199 National Benefit Fund
Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis Care
MVP Health Care
- MVP Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE
*Please contact the provider’s office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Medical Doctor (MD), New York Presbyterian Hospital
- MD, 2003 University of Missouri School of Medicine
- 2003 University of Missouri School of Medicine
- Internship: 2004 Stony Brook University Hospital
- Residency: 2008 Stony Brook University Hospital
- Fellowship: 2009 Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Honors & Awards
- Phi Eta Sigma, inducted 1995
- University of Missouri School of Medicine “Outstanding Young Physician” Alumni Award- 2011.
- Mystical Seven, inducted 1998
- Winthrop University Hospital Excellence in Teaching & Leadership - Chief Resident, 2008
- University of Missouri Honors College; George C. Brooks Scholar- 1995-1999
- Mortar Board, inducted 1998
- American College of Surgeons-Brooklyn Long Island Chapter, Murray Friedman Resident Competition, 3rd place, 2005
- 1st Annual SUNY-Stony Brook Dept. of Surgery Resident Research Competition, 1st place, 2005
- Patients’ Choice Award recipient 2011
- American College of Surgeons-Committee on Trauma Greater NY, Region Resident Paper Competition, 1st place, 2007
- Phi Beta Kappa, inducted 1999
- Golden Key National Honor Society, inducted 1998
- Wayne (New Jersey) Magazine Top Doc, 2015
- Phi Kappa Phi, inducted 1998
- On-going research interest regarding influences of various media forms in patient care
- Peer Reviewer: Journal of Surgical Oncology; Frontiers in Public Health
- Psychosocial and epidemiological factors influencing outcomes in breast cancer patients
- Manning A, Eaton A, Azu M et. al. Breast Cancer Screening at the Breast Examination Center of Harlem. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Jun;22(6):2026-2033.Epub ahead of print Dec 2014.
- Chandwani S, George P, Azu M, Bandera E, Ambrosone C, Rhoades G, Demissie K. Role of Preoperative Magnetic Resonance Imaging in the Management of Early Stage Breast Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2014. June;21(2):3473-80. Epub ahead of print Feb 2014.
- Azu M, Abrahamse P, Katz S, Morrow M. What is an adequate margin for breast-conserving surgery? Surgeon attitudes and correlates. Ann Surg Oncol. 2010 Feb;17(2):558-63.
- Edwards-Bennett S, Jacks L, McCormick B, Zhang Z, Azu M et al. Patterns of Utilization of Adjuvant Radiotherapy and Outcomes in Black Women after Breast Conservation at a Large Multidisciplinary Cancer Center. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 June;80(5):1285-88. Presented at American Society for Radiation Oncology; Chicago, IL, October 2009.
- Azu M, McCormack J, Huang E, Lee T, Shapiro M. Risk factors for venous thromboembolic events in hospitalized trauma patients in Suffolk County, New York. The American Surgeon; 2007 Dec;73 (12):1228-31. Poster presented at ACS Brooklyn Long Island Chapter Murry Friedman Resident Competition; Brooklyn, NY, May 2005. Oral presentation at ACS-Committee on Trauma Greater NY Region Resident Paper Competition, New York, NY, December 2006.
- Azu M, Jean S, Piotrowski J, O'Hea B. Effective methods for disclosing breast cancer diagnosis. Am J Surg; 2007 Oct;194(4):488-90. Poster presented at ASBS; Phoenix, AZ, May 2007.
- Azu M, McCormack JE, Scriven RJ, Brebbia JS, Shapiro MJ, Lee TK. Venous thromboembolic events in pediatric trauma patients: Is prophylaxis necessary? J Trauma 2005 Dec;59:1345-9. Poster presentation at Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma Conference 18th Annual Scientific Assembly; Fort Lauderdale, FL, January 2005.
- Crago A, Azu, M, Tierney S, Morrow M. Randomized Clinical Trials in Surgical Oncology. Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America Jan 2010: 19 (1): 33-58.
- Azu M, Lilley R, Kolli A. Social media, surgeons and the Internet: an era or an error? The American Surgeon. 2012 May;78(5):555-8.
- Azu M, Goyal S, Patel U, Haffty B, Kearney T. Has Placement of Surgical Clips in the Lumpectomy Bed Fallen Out of Favor? Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2011 June;18:1529-32.
- Azu M, August D. Impact of Micrometasis in the sentinel node of patients with invasive breast cancer. Do they matter? American Journal of Hematology/Oncology. 2010 March;9(2):54-56.
- Azu M, American College of Surgeons Breast Cancer Surgery Community Board. 7 Abstracts Presented at 2012 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium Every Surgeon Should Know. April 2013.
- Pahk R, Azu M, Taira B, Sandoval S. Antiretroviral-induced Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN) in an HIV Positive Patient. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology. 2009 Dec; 34(8):775-7.
- Chandwani S, George P, Azu M, Ambrosone C, Bandera E, Rhoades G, Demissie K. Role of preoperative magnetic resonance imaging in the management of early-stage breast cancer. Oral presentation (Chandwani) NJ Annual Retreat on Cancer Research May 2013
- Azu M, George P, Chandwani S, Cai J, Yong L, Demissie K. Risk categorization of women with node-negative early stage breast cancer by tumor size. Oral presentation (Azu) SSO March 2012
- Gemignani M, Sampson M, Azu M, Eaton A, Patil S, Liberman L. Breast Cancer Screening In an Inner-City Outreach Breast Clinic. Poster Presentation (Azu) ASBS May 2012
- Goyal S, Braun K, Haffty BG, Kearney T, Azu M, Yue NJ. Optimal PTV Margin in Patients with Fiducial Markers Treated with Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI) using 3D-CRT: Final Results of CINJ 040801. Poster presentation (Goyal) at ASTRO Oct 2011
- George P, Azu M, Bandera E, Ambrosone C, Demissie K, Rhoads G. African American Breast Cancer Patients Experience Longer Delays in Diagnosis and Treatment. Poster presentation (George) at 3rd North American Congress of Epidemiology Conference June 2011
- Umang P, Bruce H, Azu M, Kearney T, Yue N, Goyal S Placement & Visualization of Surgical Clips in the Lumpectomy Cavity of Patients with Stage 0, I & II Breast Cancer Treated with Breast Conserving Surgery & Radiation Therapy (BCS+RT). Int J Rad Onc Bio Phy 2010; 78 (3 - S1):S251-252. Poster presentation (Goyal) at ASTRO 2010.
- Goyal S, Daroui P, Khan AJ, Kearney T, Azu M, Pierce D, Haffty BG. Acute Loco-Regional Toxicity using a Novel Fractionation Scheme in Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI) Using 3-D Conformal Radiotherapy (3D-CRT). Int J Rad Onc Bio Phy 2010; 78 (3 -S1):S236. Poster presentation (Goyal) at ASTRO 2010.